Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Decision 2010

Having two talented quarterbacks to choose from is a good problem to have

Here it is, decision 2010... in this post I will make the decision for Bronco on who his starting QB will be for the 2010 season. Unfortunately, unlike Lebron's "Decision 2010" I couldn't get Jim Grey to host so I will just have to pick Bronco's mind without the sleazy-money grubbing talk show host.

Obviously, Bronco has a big decision to make. On the one hand he can go with the reliable Riley Nelson. Nelson can run the ball, he can take a hit, and he has a decent arm. Nelson has college experience, something a young BYU team sorely needs. Or, Bronco can go with the true freshman Jake Heaps. Jake might be a bit of a gamble to start right away but the kid is talented enough that once he gets some experience he is going to be a legit college QB. Basically, Bronco is in a tighter spot than George Clooney in "O Brother, Where art Thou"...

Damn... we're in a tight spot

That being said, having to choose between two talented quarterbacks is a good problem to have.  So after all this "Team Jake", "Team Riley" stuff what would my decision be? Who would I choose if I was the brain resting under Bronco's inexplicably blond head? Who would I choose between Heaps and Nelson... I know this might sound like I am taking the easy way out, but I would choose them both. Yeah, that's right, start and play both of them.

I know what most of you are going to say, that a two quarterback system never works especially at BYU. The last time the Cougars ran a two quarterback system was with Lance Pendleton and Bret Engamann in the 2002 season and that was a disaster (they finished 5-7).  But that was only because neither Pendleton or Engamann knew their role. They were both competing for the starting spot. A perfect example of a how a two quarterback system works was when Urban Myer won a national championship with the Florida Gators in 2006 by playing both Chris Leak and Tim Tebow at quarterback. 

Unlike Engamann and Pendleton, Leak and Tebow knew their roles that year... one of the many reasons why Urban Myer has had more success than Gary Crowton as a head coach. In 2006, Leak was the passer because he had a better arm and the left handed Tebow was a running QB, used in third down situations and in the red zone. Do Leak's and Tebow's strengths sound familiar...? Why not use Jake Heaps as the passing quarterback and Riley Nelson as the running quarterback? As long as both Heaps and Nelson know their roles it could definitely work.

Can Riley Nelson be the next Tim Tebow...? Probably not, but he definetly has similar strengths


This two quarterback system would help Heaps develop and learn while still not putting all the pressure on the freshman's shoulders. It would also allow Nelson a chance to earn the spot and if he is considerably better than Heaps then he could just take over at QB.

In the end, Cougar nation can rest easy knowing that they have a proven coach in Bronco Mendenhall making the decision. What Bronco has done since he as taken over for Gary Crowton has been amazing. The man simply wins games. With a winner like Bronco at the helm, whatever he should decide is probably a more informed, intelligent choice than mine would be... but I know how I would choose.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard rumblings from sources such as Pete Whitbeck & Tom Ramage that DiLuigi is also being looked at as a 3rd quarterback. The word is that DiLuigi doesn't like to keep the ball in his hands for very long (hence the fumbles) and coaches feel he might make a good quick-release passer. I was having a hard time seeing the connection between a fumble-roosky-style running back and a pocket passer, so I put the system on trial. I played as Baby Luigi last night in a Mario Kart competition and was impressed to find great accuracy with the green shells I was throwing. I was under some heavy pressure when Rosalina came up from behind with the Clap, but was able to quickly fire my shell backwards and ward her off. So maybe DiLuigi would be a fit. Who knows?....That's all I'm saying, who knows?

    ReplyDelete